Sunday, December 26, 2021

31 DAYS OF CHRISTMAS WITH DAWN OF THE DEAD: DAY 26


Today’s post is a fantastic modern day shot re-creation and comparison to what you see in DAWN OF THE DEAD. The last post that I made featuring a scene in this set of stairs got a great response, so I figured that I’d do another. I always point out this spot during my tours of the Monroeville Mall each year during the Living Dead Weekend. I take everyone who attends the tours through this very stairway that is supposed to lead to the main characters’ hideout. 


You’ll remember this shot from the movie, near the end, when “Peter” played by Ken Foree returns to their hideout without Stephen. He doesn’t know if Stephen is ok, but no doubt fears the worst. Peter comes around the corner, up the stairs, and looks up at Fran in this shot. She sees him and comes running down the steps. Peter blocks her from going down to look for Stephen, they both fear the worst, but decide to wait and see what happens. Stephen then reanimates as a zombie and leads a horde of zombies up to their hideout. You know the rest. 


In this comparison, you can match the dimples in the concrete blocks. You can match the the pattern of rows of blocks and also the mortar sticking out in spots at the joints between blocks and brick. There’s no marble here to match up, like in the main part of the mall, but it all matches up. I hope to see many of you next June on my tours of the mall, just so I can show you this very spot.


Each day this month I will be showing you something cool, rare, or even noteworthy concerning DAWN OF THE DEAD as a Christmas Present to the fans from me. I hope that you enjoy this holiday look at DAWN OF THE DEAD. 

No comments:

Post a Comment